SERVICE

Scott's Journals

February 26, 2010

  • This week, I finished converting Michelle's lessons to LaTeX, then made some improvements according to the template that Dr. Feng gave us.
  • This coming week, I'll continue to work on improving the lessons, and will hopefully get useful data from Kid's Tech University to use in improving the lessons, by fixing up whatever steps are confusing, or more ideally, whatever *types* of steps are confusing. The more general information I can gather, the better (since we're not demoing all of the lessons yet)
February 19, 2010

  • I couldn't work on updating the lessons, so I instead worked on converting lessons into LaTeX. My work on converting my lessons to LaTeX is now done, and I've also started on converting Michelle's lessons.
  • This week, I'll continue converting Michelle's lessons, then I'll improve the LaTeX files and work on the sites.
February 17, 2010

  • We met today and got up to date on what we were going to finish by the end of the week, as well as getting some new feedback. Professor Feng is getting more feedback for us on our journals that we will hopefully have fully implemented by the end of this week.
  • My work on converting the lessons to LaTeX is almost done, but of tertiary importance, as they won't be on the CD we will be making on Friday. As such, they will take a back seat to any changes to the .doc lessons.
February 13, 2010

  • This week I was going to help Michelle on her website and possibly work on converting the lessons into LaTeX. As it turned out, Michelle didn't need my help with the website, so I worked on converting the lessons into LaTeX. I didn't actually get very far, but I've figured out a number of things about LaTeX I didn't know (mostly what I had learned previously were math display-based). I've also now learned about a program called Lyx, which I'm told should speed the process by a lot.
  • This week I'm going to finish up converting the lessons into LaTeX using Lyx and then do anything I can for the websites.
February 05, 2010

  • Last week, Sahil and I partitioned the lessons between each other and worked on them. I first took some time to come up with a re-ordering of the lessons, choosing what I believe to be the best order based on the difficulty of the lessons, the importance of the concepts presented, and the interest/excitement they'll likely generate in the students.
  • Then, Sahil did the first 5 lessons and I the last 4 of the new ordering, which were: 1) Playing with Alice, an introduction to Alice where they go through a tutorial and are then walked through creating the tutorial in order to introduce many of the basic ideas and most of the important workspaces for working in Storytelling Alice, 2) Parallelism, a lesson teaching kids about the concept of parallelism using Storytelling Alice's easy-to-use Do Together language construct, 3) Running Around in Loops, about loops (for loops with simple iteration), 4) Method to making methods, where the concept of a method or 'action' is taught, 5) What If, about conditional statements, 6) Sounds, about using sound files in Storytelling Alice, 7) Variables, teaching the concept of a variable, 8) Creating Classes, about, unsurprisingly, creating classes (which are actually more like a concrete object for the most part in SA), and 9) Recursion, tackling the difficult concept of recursion.
  • Sahil and I retuned the wording, tried to explain more of what they were doing without being long-winded using sidebars, and in my case, finished any uncompleted lessons (7).
  • This week, since we need feedback before continuing with the lessons, Sahil and I will be helping Michelle with the website she is creating.