SERVICE

Gabriel's Journals

February 26, 2010

  • This past week I finalized the Storytelling Alice CD image and we ordered them for Kids' Tech University tomorrow.
  • Together with Billy I continued working on the SERVICE site redesign. We have more or less gotten the layout to what we want it to be, we just need to transfer the content.
  • This next week, then, we will go to Kids' Tech University and "field test" Storytelling Alice and the start of our curriculum.
  • Also, Billy and I will hopefully be putting up the new site.
February 19, 2010

  • We met on Wednesday, and also today, to discuss progress and coordinate the final work needed to be done before Kids' Tech University (on February 27).
  • I finished the Arch Linux LiveCD I was working on, but in that meeting we decided that, for now, it may be better to distribute just Storytelling Alice on a CD. My job, then, was to put the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) on a CD with Storytelling Alice and make it autorun on insertion. I will have this CD completed tonight.
  • I worked on the SERVICE web site redesign some, but did not focus on it as much.
  • For the next week, I am to get all the needed materials -- CD cover art, ISO image, and the first lesson we developed -- so that we may submit it to create many CDs for distribution.
  • I will also continue working on the SERVICE site redesign.
February 12, 2010

  • This past week I finalized a beta version of my LiveCD running our original Storytelling Alice port to Linux. I have given this to Dr. Gardner to try out, who will then let me know of any issues he ran into or suggestions he may have.
  • For this upcoming week I will be revamping the SERVICE site, so that it better conforms to CS@VT site.
  • In addition, I will be taking care of a few small issues Dr. Gardner already saw from my quick demo of the LiveCD, such as adding a splash screen to the boot sequence.
February 05, 2010

  • As at the end of the last semester the workstation machine that we used for testing had a hard drive failure, this past week I began by replacing the drive and setting up the machine to once again be used as a testing environment for the Storytelling Alice port.
  • I met with Billy so as to go over the status of the port and to help him with what I could. Therefore, I helped him in learning how git works so that we could update the remote repository correctly.
  • This next week I will continue aiding Billy however I can, but I will also be discussing the topic of virtual machine monitoring with Dr. Feng and Dr. Gardner.